Wow, time has been passing so oddly… quickly, yet so slow. In a few days I’ll have been here for a month.

Some friends came to visit me on Thursday… ๐Ÿ˜€ I was working that day but knew one of my friends, Lauren, would be coming by in the afternoon. I kept an eye out for her and around 3 was worried and just about to call her…. when there they were, not one friend, but two! ๐Ÿ˜€ Oh what a marvelous surprise…

They entertained themselves in the snow and were half-asleep by the fire in the Inn when I got off work. (they agreed that in the Paradise Inn at night, when the piano man was playing and the fire was going, was the best place to be EVAH! :D)

That night we played games with my roomie and neighbors (Crazy Rummy, just in case you were curious – and I whooped everyone, just in case you wanted to know…), and the three of us spent the night in the car, which was fantastic. We sung Disney songs and talked ’til after midnight. ๐Ÿ™‚ Proverbs is right – “Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred.” A night with two friends in a car is so much better than a night at the Ritz all alone. ๐Ÿ™‚

The next morning we slept in and woke up to a beautiful, clear, gorgeous day. We officially decided to hike to Camp Muir, and after picking up some sack lunches from the employee dining room, set off. At 10:40 am just in case you wanted to know. ๐Ÿ™‚

Insert postcard pictures:


As you can tell, it was a beautiful day. I’m convinced our timing was truly perfect, as some people I talked to just today said the snow is getting softer – only a few days can make a difference.

When we headed out, we stepped on the snow right outside the visitor center (I’ve never really known before where the people were hiking to up there before…) and walked up and up and up until… Muir! ๐Ÿ™‚ Yep, that’s pretty much what happened, over the next 6 hours. We took a break for lunch and small breaks every time we crested a hill.

Here’s the times, about:

Left – 10:40am

Reached Muir – 4:20pm

Left Muir – 5pm

Got back – 7:30pm

I’m still amazed I made it without fainting or dying or some other serious some-such occurring… The fact that I climbed 4000+ feet that well, I can only attribute to my friend’s talent at setting a good, steady pace that I could keep up with.

๐Ÿ™‚ Ah, it was a good day. After we reached Muir, we enjoyed the view for a good time before preparing to head back down.

On the way down the “hill”, I was introduced to “glissading” – a hiker/climber’s term for basically sliding on your bum down the snow. What fun! I was pitiful on the flatter inclines, but on the steep hills, man what a ride! Why had I never heard of this before?? Definitely some exhilarating rides… if my camera had been waterproof I would have taken you down one of the chutes with me.

I felt like my friends had no sooner arrived than they left… wow did time fly. It was so wonderful to see familiar, beloved faces, though, and to spend time with them… to accomplish something together.

Isn’t life grand?